Sunday, January 29, 2012

Big Bang Theory: The Show

Alright, I admit it, I'm a Big Bang Theory show fanatic. Sheldon kills me because he is so analytical and takes everything so seriously. He has difficulty recognizing sarcasm, for example. One of the things he mentions is the theory of alternate universes which I think is silly and just another avenue for scientists to run down attempting to evade the confrontation of the question of a Creator.

Sheldon alludes to what he might be like in an alternate universe (in none of them is he dancing) but that raises the question: In what other universe could he even exist? Do you have any idea how incredible the odds are against it? Supposedly in alternate universes things happen differently and people make alternate decisions. That a certain person could exist in two different universes at all would have to be termed a miracle.

I see no reason to believe there is life on other planets much less in alternate universes. I believe our universe was the work of what we would call a super-intelligent Being who had a plan. To believe in life on other planets or alternate universes would require believing that they were caused by an accident. Of course, I can't speak for God and it could be that He just felt like creating other life than on earth.

That's why I don't have a fixed theology. Over the years I have found that some of my theology didn't stand up to scrutiny simply because men made it up over the millennia. Sometimes it was necessary in their circumstances and sometimes it was just to retain control over the masses. It's like Congress who pass laws that should be temporary instead of permanent. (I think every law we have should be reviewed by Congress and HR periodically to determine whether or not to keep it or trash it. This does not include the Constitution and Bill of Rights. Just think of how many new bills they wouldn't have time to pass.)

In my studies I go by the theory of a friend: My Belief System will be large enough to include all of the facts; I will be open enough to allow it to be tested; and I will be flexible enough to change it when I become aware of errors or new facts (http://www.biblicalheritage.org). I have carried more than one belief about any particular subject around in my head for years waiting for the evidence that would make one or the other opinion conclusive. I would not be a good 21st century American exclusive science club member because the alternative to supernatural creation is not conclusive yet and I doubt it ever will be. The scientific age of the universe is credible to me though I cannot discount the possibility that the Designer could have started it at a certain point. Who could ever determine that? Evolution is a possibility, though I cannot bring myself to believe that the animals changed themselves. However, if the Creator manipulated the changes, it's easy to accept if I find out.

Scientists have reached a stumbling block on their road of blind faith. There are many theories about many things and, as scientific as they are, somehow they just can't totally agree. If the absolute evidence is laid before them, how can they deny it? My answer is that it isn't all there.

2 comments:

  1. Right on, my fellow explorer into the REAL things of the REAL God. In this universe, the medical and biological sciences say that we are 'carbon-based' entities. In another (which is impossible for me to comprehend, being a long-time student of science myself, that there would be such a thing), they may be 'nitroglycerine-based'! Or, yet in another (might as well go to the extreme, as the rulers of 'higher education' freely do!), there may be some that are garlic-based, or some other totally unimaginable composition... Well. If they can dream up weird stuff, we do all have imaginations! The real history of everything is in the 'Book of books', the Christian Bible, the oldest (true) account of all things. There is no other scientific explanation; and that's a fact, Jack! Ask God! He'll tell you the same!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right again, Looker into holy places! By the (possibly) hundreds of different denominations of the Church that Jesus founded upon the earth, its birth being on the day of Pentecost, in about the year AD30 (Acts 2:4), and all of them have some varying doctrinal beliefs than others; and some within the same denomination vary somewhat at times among themselves. Why is that?
    As you said, men, with our carnal and natural minds, which are only limited to man's wisdom and understanding, have not maintained the pattern of God for the Church, which is this: I Corinthians 1:10: Paul writes this scripture: 'Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing (doctrinal truth), and that there be no divisions (denominations) among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together (as all members of the same body: of Christ) in the same mind, and in the same judgment (understanding and spiritual truth).'
    With a quick glance, where does the Church stand on that?!

    ReplyDelete