Saturday, January 21, 2012

What Do We Know about God?

There are two possibilities. One is that nothing caused everything. The other is that something caused everything. I know that philosophy has built quite a concept of the latter but I have a problem with the thinking that arrives at conclusions such as that I cannot prove I exist. You can take "logic" too far. I am sitting here typing this message. That's all the evidence I need. If you are there wondering whether you are really there, you have my sympathy - or you would if you were really there. If you don't believe you are really there, why are you reading something that doesn't exist? To me the statement "I think, therefore I am" is quite suitable in the reality outside the modern philosopher's mind. To go on, Aristotle was also correct in saying that something set the world in motion. I am a believer in odds and the odds are that the universe was not an accident. I have difficulty believing that something sat motionless forever, then suddenly exploded into the universe. I believe that God created the universe and laid down the rules to follow. Therefore He is not subject to those rules. He could be of a substance that we cannot sense because He didn't equip us with what we would need to do that. He might be standing next to me and I cannot perceive his Presence. He can change things in the universe without leaving a trace of evidence we can detect. Supposedly, many people have seen God and I cannot deny it but I would have to trust their words to think that is evidence for his Existence. That is what amuses me about science. To most scientists this is anathema. They only study facts and God cannot be a fact because He cannot be observed or demonstrated. Yet these same scientists are telling me that certain things they cannot demonstrate are facts and, therefore, I should believe them. God can neither be proved nor disproved. It is not in our power to do so. I believe God is the Creator. I worship Him. I do not worship the creation. That means I am very grateful for all the joy, including nature, He has given me to experience. He does not owe me even the next breath. If He chose to take my life right now, why would I complain? I am grateful for the life He gave up to this very moment. The next moment I may not be here.

No comments:

Post a Comment