Thursday, January 19, 2012

Wow! Another Article!

When I was a standard Christian (the definition is a little loose considering all the denominations) I was taught that I should be offended if anyone questioned the particular brand of Christianity with which I was indoctrinated. I could disintegrate anything I didn't agree with. I was not allowed to question my church's theology because that would be questioning God and, trust me, you didn't want to do anything that caused you to question God. This is not to say any particular church is evil. It's just how most Christians are taught.

Various things offended me and I at once went to battle with my innocent Bible and my guilty theology. (I want to point out that most Christianity is not bad. Only bad spiritual leaders are bad as with any religion. As a matter of fact, no religion can be bad if the leaders and people are good. God will lead good people to where they need to be ultimately. That's not for me to say. I wish to be simply a generic relay and to trust that God will do the rest.) It was my job to take on all the demons and idols with my magnificent theology. And, then, one day, I saw something that gave me a revelation. It was a movie about a woman who had a gift of healing other people who, incidentally, did not believe in God. It took me many years to consider this dilemma. I, of course, immediately annihilated it with my biblical knowledge but the movie stayed in my head and revisited me when I finally learned to think clearly.

It is irrelevant here as to whether or not the woman really healed people. I no longer care. What is relevant is the idea that it is possible. A Jewish parable teaches that even an evil man can do a good deed and that in the final judgment God will consider it. I have said that I have seen God lead some down rather unusual paths to reach their Creator. Who am I to say what God can and cannot do? If God chooses to use a woman that isn't the preferred religion to do his miracles, I cannot judge. I believe God can do whatever He wants and that we sometimes do not understand why He does it. Mankind likes to put God in a box to keep an eye on Him to keep their houses in order. It is not acceptable to allow Him to violate our established, unchangeable belief system.

We really know little of God. It is obvious to me that He created the universe in its incredible complexity. It is obvious that I did not cause myself to live and breathe. And if you had been with me all my life for every moment you would agree that a lot of things have happened to me that were beyond doubt caused by Someone. Most of what we believe is faith. A variety of people wrote the sections of the Bible. It's absolutely true that there are passages that contradict other passages. Does that mean the Bible is invalidated and God does not exist? No, that's ridiculous. Sometime I want to get into the workings of the Bible so you can see how ridiculous that thought is.

Some people think, and I'm not kidding, that God wrote the Bible. Well, no. Men who had a relationship with God wrote the Bible. Sometimes their memories weren't perfect but they certainly made their point. Their writing describes how they perceive God and his wishes. Each writing is supposed to teach the children of their father Israel about God and what He wants from mankind. Even Jesus explained that sometimes a circumstance superseded the Law. In the case of this non-Christian, non-Jewish woman we see that at work, assuming that it is true. Think about it this way - If God loved a particular person and wanted to heal him or her, why does it have to be a licensed (saved/qualified) Christian or Jew? If you have a problem with that, you'd better go read the story of the Good Samaritan. Jesus is the one who told it.

I'm not trying to ruffle anyone's feathers. I just want you to understand that God is God and He can do what He wants, however He wants, and through whomever He wants. If we don't like that, we're little spoiled brats in need of discipline.

No comments:

Post a Comment