Friday, December 24, 2010

What is the Purpose of Religion?

Is religion a club? Is it a requirement of life? Is Hell a tool to Save souls? No. Religion is a relationship between you and your God. Since there only appears to be one God, let's just call him/her/it/them God. God created the universe. Many people say they don't believe in God for a variety of reasons. Some hate God. What has God done to deserve this? He created the universe and us and gave us lives. I've thought about it quite a bit and have come to the conclusion that I've received way more than I have given. We're here and we got here somehow. Someone set the universe in motion. Perhaps He used the Big Bang and evolution to accomplish this purpose. Who knows? How would you determine whether or not God exists other than that we exist? That does it for me. From that point we can only wonder Who God is and how we can get in touch with Him. We can ascertain that all that is good is made possible by Him and all that is bad is a simple consequence of our choosing to do bad things instead. Life is a learning experience. Most people aren't interested in learning, though, they just want to suck out all the good they can without thinking about their responsibility of passing it on to the next needful person. I'm sure God doesn't appreciate that. He gives out of love and we hoard out of greed. We Americans are the worst. It's incredible how much we need.
Where is God? I don't know. I can only detect the universe. I don't know what's outside it or even if. But God created all that we know. He is not governed by the universe's rules. Is He with us? Is He outside the universe? I'm sure that both are routine to Him. He is Something we cannot detect unless He chooses to reveal Himself as He did to Moses. How many of us could handle such a thing? I think if He appeared before me, all I would feel is utter shame. All we have is our religion - our communion with the Creator. And, as far as I can tell, it's better when you don't do it alone. That's what your church or synagogue is for. People gather and share themselves and admire their Creator. They show their gratefulness. Many dance to show their joy. That's religion.

No comments:

Post a Comment