Saturday, October 16, 2010

What is Religion?

Religion is the belief in a higher Power, Something supernatural. Some worship nature. I think that is offensive to the One who created nature. Other religions are simply philosophy about how the universe works. Buddha almost died practicing Hinduism. Jesus did die trying to purify Judaism. By the way, the Jewish leaders he was trying to straighten out were the ones who had him killed, not the Jewish people.

To me religion is the relationship between a person and his Creator. We do not really know much about the Creator except this: Someone created all we know who is not subject to the creation's rules. Therefore it is a futile effort to try to prove or disprove God. You might say that everyone's religion is whether Someone caused the universe or it just happened. I find the latter option rather ridiculous though I'm still waiting for the final report. Good luck with that.

I believe there is a God. In fact, I'm pretty certain. I have seen things that are beyond coincidence in my own life. So the whole premise of this blog is that there is Someone we don't understand who gave us lives we didn't earn nor deserve. The typical person who hates God cannot deal with that fact.

I live in Texas and we have tornadoes. I have seen many tornadoes and have seen a good number form. One day bad weather moved in and  I was watching the sky. Directly above us a large tornado started forming. I seldom just stop everything and pray but this seemed to be a rather good idea considering the circumstances. As I asked God not to let this tornado cause misery I noticed something happening in the corner of my eye. Something that looked like a wall cloud came across the sky and took out that tornado. That is something I will always have burned into my memory.

I think most of the time God answers our prayers in ways we don't recognize. However, sometimes He just steps in and does something obvious. This is just one of many things I have seen. He didn't do it because I had some sort of influence on Him nor did He do it because I deserved it. What I have is a free gift He gave me and life is a learning experience. Some learn, some don't. The meaning of life is to be grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment